Monday, July 21, 2008

Lock Up Abroad; The Story of Gracia And Martin Burnham

I keep on changing the TV channel at this moment, looking for interesting show on TV. I was amazed when I saw the show title “ Lock Up Abroad” this is a documentary that illustrate people’s frightening experience during their stay in abroad. I have seen some of these episode, but tonight’s episode really interest me. I am sure most of the Filipino people still remember the news about the two American Missionary that was abducted by the Islamic extremist in Mindanao the Abu sayyaf. We already know that this group have strong connection to the fierce and notorious terrorist leader Osama bin Laden.

Gracia Burnham the wife of late martin Burnham, tells their horrible experience during their captivity of Abu Sayyaf. Their romantuc vacation turn to hell when this group suddenly appear in Dos Palmas beach and took them to Mindanao as a hostage for ransom. This is generally the way for this group to kidnap people especially foreigner to demand million of dollars to the family.

As the story went by, I can’t hold my emotion, then suddenly the liquid drip down into my both cheeks. I cried, and was carried away by the story of Gracia Burnharm. I could really imagine how difficult it is when you are fighting between life and death in the middle of nowhere. After 365 days of captivity, Gracia finally released not in ransom process, she was rescued in the middle of the battle between the terrorist and the Philippine Military. She was wounded that time, whereas her husband was shot and didn't survive. She return to the United States alone, and once again acquainted with her family with out her husband. She wrote her books title “ In The Presence Of My Enemies” This book contain words that make you laugh ,cry, and spiritual revelation.

4 comments:

Music Freak said...

I've been meaning to buy this book but everytime I go to the bookstore and see the book ... I just can't .. I dunno if I'll have the guts to read it. To read the pain the author's feeling.

Bernie said...

Yeah it's very sentimental story, even me was carried away on TV how much more reading the whole story:)

Hawksdomain said...

If there is any other place on Earth where this story was equally covered, I would guess it would be here in Kansas, the state that Gracia returned to after her nightmare of being kidnapped. I have always felt such respect for her. I cried for her and her children when it was announced that Martin had died during the rescue. She is an amazing woman, but I agree with Music Freak that I don't think I could read her book.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also shed some tears while watching Locked Up Abroad. I encourage everyone to read the book, its not just a sad story but a very encouraging one because it shows the reader that there is always hope no matter how hopeless things can be. As the saying goes "Theres always a light at the end of the tunnel".
Here is the actual video of the Lamitan Seige, the hospital where the Burnhams were taken to by there captors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-TLAFDUE80